Cuso International - Horticultural and Natural Resource Specialist - Volunteer in Laos
On January 31, 2018
Start Date Apr - Jun 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purposes of this placement are: 1) To enhance and improve the operations of VFI’s Green Earth Centre, as a tool to improve livelihood opportunities for village people in the surrounding area, and 2) to strengthen the capacity of VFI staff members at the GEC, including in planning and management and in regard to technical skills.
Focus shall be on organic production systems and the creation of demonstrations on different crops and ways of production, as well as on livestock raising. The volunteer shall also support the VFI staff in program and project management. It will include training on planning, monitoring & evaluation, proposal and report writing.
The aim of this placement is to improve the operations and production of the Green Earth Centre in Lao Ngam District, Salavan Province, southern Lao PDR, through better GEC staff preparation and management capacity, more thoughtful and integrated plant and animal systems, and more appropriate and beneficial outreach and support to farming communities.
The volunteer will work collaboratively with VFI and the Cuso International Country Office team to meet the goal and strategies of partners, beneficiaries and staff.
This placement will support the work of Cuso International Laos in Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) and governance, with a particular focus on sustainable livelihoods for all, access to finance, training and capacity building opportunities. There will also be a focus on how far services are provided for youth, women as well as men in the area, given the importance placed by Cuso International on the inclusion of women and socially excluded groups.
*We are trying to match the perfect volunteer to the perfect experience so our start dates can be flexible. It would just depend on the partner organization’s needs.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist in organic vegetable production
- Assist in mushroom production, composting, greenhouse management, etc.
- Assist in livestock raising, including goats, chickens, pigs, ducks, fish and frogs
- Assist in overall planning and management of the GEC
- Assist in identification of products for value-adding and sale, including branding and packaging
- Assist in design and production of curriculum materials for all parts of GEC training
- Mainstream gender and social inclusion in partner organization project and in all placement activities both with farmers and other stakeholders. This should be in relation to marginalized groups (people living with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University Degree in agriculture, livestock or related field
- Demonstrating capacity in management and planning
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in vegetable production in the tropics, and/or
- Experience in livestock raising systems in the tropics, and
- Experience in farming systems to enhance livelihood opportunities for local people
- Demonstrated experience and competencies in planning and management,
- Contribute to the goal of making the Centre self-supporting in the long run.
- Assess the possibilities of a longer-term volunteer engagement of Cuso International in the Green Earth Centre.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
To Apply: https://curawebservices.mindscope.com/CUSOIN04387_CURA/Aspx/JobDetails.aspx?lang=en&Job_ID=610
Back to Job Board