Apply Now: Submit Your Expressions of Interest for CHFA Board of Directors
CHFA is seeking interested members to join our Board of Directors. This is an opportunity to help shape our industry as we create new opportunities for our member businesses to thrive, increase innovation and deepen relationships. Help drive the strategic direction of our association by joining this high performing Board and providing your leadership and professional experience.
Deadline: November 30, 2022
CHFA has a Board of nine directors. Every year, three of those directors' terms end. Each director is eligible to stand for up to two consecutive terms and under certain circumstances, a third term is possible.
To ensure a balance of required skills and competencies within the Board and to ensure the Board represents a cross-section of the membership, this year we are looking for members with the following areas of expertise and / or demographics, and encourage Expressions of Interest from those who possess one or more of the following qualifications:
- Members of equity-seeking communities (including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities / expressions);
- Financial oversight;
- Government relations; and
- Digital experience (i.e. oversight of IT strategy and / or digital growth).
As a Board Member, your role will be to:
- Provide leadership on issues of concern;
- Set strategic priorities;
- Formulate governing policies;
- Provide financial stewardship;
- Monitor organizational performance; and
- Work with the senior staff to shape policy based on industry needs and member feedback.
Your commitment will include:
- A three-year term;
- Participation in four Board meetings annually;
- Involvement in a minimum of one Board Committee with a minimum of four meetings annually;
- Participation at CHFA events as required; and
- Participation in one or more strategic planning/governance sessions.
If you want to be part of an industry-leading group and possess one or more of the qualifications above:
- Complete this Expression of Interest form, and send it along with
- a copy of your résumé or a one-page summary of your experience in the natural health, organic and wellness industry AND
- a letter of reference as confirmation of the ratings in your Expression of Interest form, no later than 11:59 p.m. PT on November 30th, 2022, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Notice of Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA) will be held virtually on Wednesday, April 13, 2022, at 3:00 p.m. ET. We encourage all members to attend. Please register here before April 11, 2022.
If you’re unable to attend the virtual meeting, ensure your views are heard and that you are counted as part of the quorum:
- Vote online between March 23 and April 11, 2022. Check your inbox on March 23 for the email, “VOTE NOW: CHFA Annual General Meeting” and click the enclosed link to vote.
As the recipient of this email, you are your member company’s designated voter. Only the designated voter can vote, and the company must be a current member of CHFA as of the record date (March 14, 2022). The Board of Directors fixed 11:59 p.m. ET on March 14, 2022, as the date of record for determining the members entitled to receive notice of and to vote at this AGM.
If you have any questions regarding the member status of your company, please contact us at email@example.com or call 1.800.661.4510 ext. 229.
On the agenda are the presentation of the Financial Statements, the Election of Directors, and the Appointment of the Public Accountant.
The Board of Directors will consist of nine members representing, where possible, an equal number of individuals who are members engaged as retailers and members who are engaged as suppliers. The ninth director may be either a retailer or a supplier, or an individual who is independent of any member.
Following a thorough review of all expressions of interest submitted in the fall of 2021 and a rigorous interview process, the Nominating Committee is recommending the following individuals as nominees to the Board of Directors of CHFA. Nominations are now closed. No other nominees have come forward.
These nominees satisfy the criteria the Board has identified, including competencies in the following areas – government relations, Board/governance experience and financial oversight.
CHFA Board of Directors Electoral Process
As a federally registered, not-for-profit trade association, CHFA is incorporated under the Canada Not-For-Profit Act. The Act and CHFA’s by-laws are the rules under which CHFA operates. As such CHFA is governed by a Board of Directors who are elected by the members of the Association. The detailed formal requirements of the CHFA election process are outlined in section 24 through 26 of CHFA’s by-laws and can be found here.
Steps in the Election Process
Nominations for directors are made by the nominating committee that has been established by the Board of Directors for the express purpose of identifying qualified Board candidates. To assist the nominating committee with this task, a request for expressions of interest goes out to all Members approximately 150 days prior to the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Members via a member bulletin, distributed in both English and French. An expression of interest is an initial, informal notice from a member that says he or she is interested in being nominated to the Board of Directors.
The list of proposed nominees must be considered against an established criteria and approved by the full Board. Once approved by the Board, the proposed list is provided to the membership at least 45 days preceding the date fixed for the AGM, together with a request for further nominations from the Members.
Any Member may make additional nominations for directors, provided that each such nomination is signed in writing by the Member, seconded in writing by two Members in good standing, and consented to in writing by the nominee, who must be a Member (or shareholder, director, partner, member or employee thereof). Each such nomination must be delivered to the Chair 30 days prior to the annual meeting of Members. A list of all nominees shall be mailed to each Member, together with a list of the continuing directors, and the notice of the meeting, which includes the agenda and financial statements. No additional nominations for director may be made at the AGM.
Approximate Election Timeline - Based on April AGM
||Multiple communications to Members
||Requesting Expressions of Interest
||November 30, 2022
||Deadline for Expressions of Interest to be received
||Determine Date of Record
||Determined by Board of Directors
||Multiple communications to Members
||List of Nominees and request for additional nominations to go to all Members
||March 2023 - TBD
||Deadline for nominations to be received from Members
||Multiple communications to Members
||Dispatch all nominations to be forwarded to all voting members with notice of AGM (email)
||April 2023 - TBD
||Date of Record, as determined by Board of Directors
||April 2023 - TBD
Voting and the AGM Process
Once the notice of the AGM has gone out to all Members, electronic voting for directors, and the Association’s auditor begins.
Electronic voting in advance of the AGM streamlines the voting process, makes it easier for Members to participate and has greatly increased Member participation. The AGM will be entirely held by webcast, making it easy for Members to attend virtually. During the electronic voting process, an independent firm will verify that ballots have been cast only by active Members, and that each Member has cast only one ballot.
The Chair of the Board of Directors chairs the meeting and in accordance with section 16 of CHFA’s by-laws. Only one representative of each CHFA member company or their named delegate is entitled to speak at the AGM.
The following are general components of CHFA’s AGM:
- Welcome Members
- Introduce Board Members and staff
- Review meeting guidelines
- Reports on attendance and confirmation that quorum has been reached, including votes submitted during online voting
- Adopt and approve the agenda (agenda items cannot be added from the floor and must be added in advance by contacting the Board Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Approval of the minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting
- Presentation of financial statements
- A brief update on CHFA activities for the past year
- Appointment of Auditors
- Nominating Committee report & election of new Board members
With the election completed, any new business can be brought before the meeting and following this, the meeting will be adjourned.
Amendments to CHFA’s by-laws are normally done in consultation with, or as a result of broad feedback from Members, vetted through the Board of Directors, and must be in accordance with applicable laws and CHFA’s by-laws.
A member entitled to vote at an annual meeting may make a proposal to make, amend or repeal a by-law as allowed by Section 152(6) of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act. Any proposal made in accordance with Section 163 and submitted within the “prescribed period”.
(Section 163(6)) of 90 to 150 days before the anniversary of the previous AGM (Section 66 the regulations to the Act (the “Regulations”) will be included by CHFA ithe notice of the meeting.
Specific questions may be addressed to email@example.com.